Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:03:49 -0400
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: clone_cleanup() doesn't

Kostik Belousov wrote:

> This is exactly what you get with cdevpriv. You open a single device
> node, and driver attaches a private data to the file descriptor.

Ah, so it is.  I missed the per-process note in the manpage.
I wish we'd have had this back in 5.x, rather than this cloning
stuff.  Unfortunately, since I have to support those releases,
I'm stuck with cloning.

FWIW, the fix to my problem was to add D_NEEDMINOR to
my cdevsw d_flags, to restore the same behavior as FreeBSD 5/6/7

Drew