Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 15:01:47 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        mike allison <mallison@konnections.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial, Non-Hacker CD Distribution - A thought

On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, mike allison wrote:

> Marc:
>
> This is VERY similar to the RedHat?ApplixWare bundle.  They send out the
> suite bundled with the optimum RH Linux version to run it.  I think RH
> has a division that maintains the ApplixWare port.  This sounds like a
> GOOD commercial project for someone willing and able to put it together
> and SUPPORT it.
>
> *BSD is a far better platform than Linux (For this) because the Linux
> world cannot always insure that any particular distro was
> compiled/configured the same as any other.  RH ApplixWare may not run
> under Slackware.
>
> *BSD doesn't have this problem since the releases are centralised for
> the platform.
>
> Wish we had the resources to do this....  The office suite IS the killer
> app which allows one to move away from MS....

	We sort of already do have the resources...if ppl were a little
more willing to put their "money where there mouth is", so to say...

	The Office Suite is a Linux product...but its Free for non-commercial
use...you hear every once in a while on the lists about how X company has
this really nice commercial product, but for Unix, it would cost a major
fortune to buy compared to a MSWindows version...which makes sense, considering
the market share.

	So, as a community, why not approach StarDivision concerning filling
the void that currently exists...a *good*, office quality, FreeBSD ported
Office Suite (its already there, just as Linux binaries).  How much would an
MS-equivalent product cost, if you were in an MS environment?  MSOffice goes
for how much...$400?  StarDivision is giving it away for free for non-commercial
use...so go to StarDivision, ask them for a FreeBSD port to include as part of
a "commercial CD package" and offer to pay them per CD.  Current cost of
CD: $39.95...commercial CD package w/ StarOffice: $65...now StarDivision is
making $25/copy off a product that they aren't making any money off of now...
at least not off of 'non-commercial' users...

	(NOTE: Simplistic view...I know)

	What other products are out there that could go into a commercial
quality (business-quality?) CD?  Xaccel?  McAfee(sp?) Virus scan?  CDE?

	Make it a brain-dead install...we have, IMHO, a rock-solid platform
to build from, but its pretty much a 'hackers-world' distribution right now,
not meant for the generic user that wants point-click and little-to-no-headaches

	Then again, so far, there are only two of that even consider this
to be a reasonable idea *shrug*