Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:32:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Costlow <cheeks@swcp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum write performance

On Monday, 17 April 2000 at 12:46:55 -0600, Mark Costlow wrote:

> I'm setting up a freeBSD 3.4 system on a Micron Netframe (PIII-533, 256M) with
> an Adaptec SCSI controller on the motherboard (model number escapes me right
> now).  There are two SCSI disks connected, both are IBM DNES-318350Y's (18G,
> 7200 RPM).  The system boots off an IDE disk.
>
> My intention is to configure the SCSI disks as a RAID-1 mirror with vinum.  I
> did this successfully, however the write performance was really bad, much
> worse than I expected from the papers I've read on vinum performance, so I
> think I must have something configured badly.
>
> The simple test I've been running to guage performance is 'iozone 500' (old
> version of iozone that just does a sequential write followed by a sequential
> read).  I understand why RAID-1 writes will be slower than raw single-drive
> writes, but the difference here is a factor of 7, not 2 (and with only two
> drives on the bus I wouldn't expect much of a slowdown).

You really want to use rawio, not iozone.

> When I first noticed that writing to the vinum mirror volume was
> slow, I thought the problem might be one or both of the disks.  So I
> reconfigured vinum to use just one disk (each in turn) and saw the
> same performance on each one.  I also put regular file system on
> each disk to test them and saw more normal write performance.  Here
> are the results of those tests:
>
> Throuput numbers are in MB/s
> iozone 500:     FS Type Read    Write
> -------------------------------------
> da0:            vinum   19.3     2.2
> da0:            BSD     19.4    15.2
> da1:            vinum   18.6     2.2
> da1:            BSD     17.4    14.0

This doesn't look good.

> The newfs parameters in all cases are the system defaults.  The vinum config
> being used is:
>
> drive d0 device /dev/da1s1e
> volume vtest
> plex name vtest.p0 org concat vol vtest
> sd name vtest.p0.s0 drive d0 plex vtest.p0 len 35843405s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 0s
>
> The write speed I see on a vinum volume with a single plex and sd is
> the same as I saw with the drives in a mirror config: 2.2MB/s.  As
> the numbers above show, the problem isn't specific to one drive.  If
> the writes go through vinum, they're slow.

This puzzles me.  I can't think of any good reason for this.

> FWIW, regarding the recent discussion about the drive's write cache:
> the write cache is enabled on these drives.
>
> If anyone has any ideas what I might be doing wrong, or if I've left
> out any useful configuration information, please let me know.

I don't know where to start with this one, but how about trying rawio
(/usr/ports/benchmarks/rawio) and telling me the results of that.
Also, for the sake of reference, the info I ask for at
http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html.

Greg