Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:31:50 -0500
From:      "The Jetman" <jetman@mycbc.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Net" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [4.10-R]Getting A Particular BRIDGE Setup Working

I've made a nbr of BRIDGE boxes w/ various revs of FBSD, but I always
get stuck w/ one configuration.  Currently, I have a firewall/gateway
box (also FBSD) which connects to the 'Net via a DSL modem.  If I place
my BRIDGE on the exterior leg (bet the gateway and the DSL modem), it
works perfectly.  That is, traffic passes thru the BRIDGE as expected.
Unfortunately, I can't get detailed traffic stats, since the internal
workstations'traffic have been NAT'd into a single traffic stream by
the firewall.  FWIW, I use two IP-less Ethernet cards for the BRIDGE
itself and another Ethernet w/ an IP, plugged into my switch, to control
the BRIDGE box itself and to look at the traffic stats.  BTW, the traffic
stats app (NTOP) works perfectly, under this arrangement.

The problem manifests itself if I connect the BRIDGE box to the
interior Ethernet leg of the firewall/gateway, thereby connecting it
to the switch, along w/ the BRIDGE's control port.  The BRIDGE fails and
I always get spurious error messages from ARP, indicating one of my
IP-less Ethernet cards is using the IP address of my control port.  If I
lose the control port (disconnect it), the BRIDGE works fine, but I can't
see any traffic stats, the principal purpose of the BRIDGE.

Is there a SYSCTL variable to control this behavior or perhaps something
else I'm not aware of ?  TIA.  Later....Jet

===============  From the desk of Jethro Wright, III  ================
+      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.     -
===  jetman516 at hotmail.com  ===============  Benjamin Franklin  ===