Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 07:00:08 -0400
From:      "Joe Joplin" <joejop@triad.rr.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Seagate Travan-5 IDE Tape Drive Halts after command

 have a Seagate travan-5 IDE drive running on FreeBSD 4.6.  The drive seems
to be detecting correctly.

ast0: Tape <Seagate STT20000A> at ata0-slave PI04

I compiled the kernel with the line
device        atapist        # ATAPI tape drives

But after I send a command for the tape e.g. mt -f /dev/nast0 rewind,
dump -0aunf /dev/nast0 /tmp, .. the system hangs after finishing the
command.  I can kill the process with an ABRT or KILL (sometimes I have to
reboot, but that is may be my lack of knowledge).  After I get the dump
process stopped I ran restore and verified that the dump was successful.
I used mt -f /dev/nast0 status and got the output below.  This is the only
command I can run without the system stopping.  I have tried to use
/dev/ast0, but that does the same if not worse.

Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x01:X3.22-1983      512 bytes      800      none
---------available modes---------
0:        default              variable       0        none
1:        default              variable       0        none
2:        default              variable       0        none
3:        default              variable       0        none
File Number: 0            Record Number: 0            Residual Count 0

I am trying to use this tape drive with either dump or tar for backups.  I
would really appreciate some help.  I am stuck.  I can't seem to find any
info.

TIA,

Joe