Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 07:12:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some questions from a user.

Can someone shed some light on the sysconfig and console size problems?

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 97 00:51:10 GMT
From: tkuehn@websurf.pcom.de (Torsten Kuehn)
To: pds@FreeBSD.org
Subject: FAQ: How to increase number of lines in virtual consoles?

The 2.2.2 FAQ does not explain how to set the console's alpha matrix to
higher than 80x25 (e.g. 80x50). I've experimented a lot with term50
env variables, 8x8 screen fonts and with Soren Schmidt's vidcontrol
program (which, BTW, blanks all screens until next reboot).
Perhaps you could add this in the next release's FAQs.

Some other FreeBSD related questions - perhaps you could forward them to
the appropriate destination:
1.) reboot -p/ fastboot/ fasthalt do not work reliable. To restart after
  changes in my system configuration, I need a *soft* boot, but don't want
  to use the reset button, as the POST takes quite long. Sometimes, reboot -p
  initiates a soft boot, but often leaves me with a beeping system which can
  only be restarted with a hard reset.
2.) In the shells, there is no history function with cursor up/ down keys like
  DOSKEY, NT or OS/2's key variable for cmd.exe, or even with Linux shells.
  Like NextStep's csh, the FreeBSD shells lack cursor history key support.
3.) Logins and events on other consoles _destroy_ text screens on all consoles!
  I use to login as root, so all events are echoed on any console. When ee,
  man or mc (Midnight Commander) is running on other virtual consoles, the
  text output of these programs is hence destroyed.
  There is also a mysterious error message "unknown login_getclass 'root'"
4.) Installation: /stand/sysinstall did not create any /etc/sysconfig file.
  Consequence: rc.conf had to be modified manually to enable at least an
  appropriate keyboard layout. The boot screen recommends to "switch to
  /etc/rc.conf ASAP" to eliminate this warning - what means ASAP?
5.) File system support could be much better: I am very sorry to see that
  NextSteps BSD Fast File system cannot be mounted in FreeBSD. I only
  reserved 200MB for A5h FS type, whereas the A7h FS partiton is 575MB with
  an additonal A7h swap partition on the second physical hard disk.
  Neither FAT with LFN's, HPFS or NTFS file systems are supported, while this
  is true with Linux. FreeBSD currently only supports FAT with 8+3 filenames.
  On the other hand, switching among DOS|WIN (-> NTldr), NextStep, FreeBSD
  and OS/2 with OS/2's BootMgr is straightforward (requires a patched MBR).