Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:51:51 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ott_K=F6stner?= <OttK@zzz.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   socket: too many open file descriptors (Re: Python with many threads)

--------------010909030203000408030405

Hello,

Answering my own mail ;)

Ott Köstner wrote:

> Still, something locks up in the system, when I increase the number
> Python threads with  http://grub.org/?q=en/node/204
[...]
> The frequency of these messages increases with 70 threads. And with
> 200 threads the system locks up totally -- almost no access from web.
> [I can still access the system and kill the process :)  ]
>
> Clearly, there is some limit in the system. It is not memory, cpu or
> bandwidth. If the number of threads is also not limited, it must be
> something else. What might it be?

Eventually, I found out that the limiting factor here is named, not
capable of handling more request and causing Apache to lock up.

But now I am trapped here. Is there anybody who can help?

In /var/log/messages:
named[63198]: socket: too many open file descriptors

I have googled this, but no help. Recompiled bind, adding
-DFD_SETSIZE=2048 to CFLAGS. No help.

sockstat |grep -c named

does not big numbers. With 60 Grubng/Pyhton threads this number is
around 20, rises over 100 with 100 threads, but this is still much lower
than 2048...

Any ideas?

Regards,
O.K.

--
Testi oma Interneti kiirust / Test Your Internet speed:
http://speedtest.zzz.ee/

--------------010909030203000408030405--