Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 22:45:52 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        peter@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hosts before bind in /etc/host.conf?

On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 10:36:14PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> A lot of folks dive in and change this first thing since it's annoying
> to have a non-connected host bring up a ppp connection just to resolve
> your own hostname, and sysinstall is careful about putting entries
> into /etc/hosts for this.  Any objection to changing the default?  For
> most folks, it won't even make a difference since all the entries in
> /etc/hosts are commented out by default.  To shoot yourself in the
> foot here still requires deliberate action, and at least /etc/hosts is
> a better known location than /etc/host.conf - I still have to explain
> that one to folks in this day and age.
>
> Comments?

The order should be hosts, named, and then NIS with NIS commented out. The
way we currently have it setup assumes that the machine is running DNS and
that network connectivity is up at the time the machine is coming up. This
is not always the case. I vote YES to fixing this.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.0
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses