Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 01:40:56 +0000
From:      jomor <jomor@ahpcns.com>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   where is umask set for anon ftp user?

I want anonymous ftp users to have a umask of 551 so any files uploaded
to "incoming" can't be downloaded except by a normal user with a real
password.  I grepped through "ftpd.c" and found this:

#if !defined(CMASK) || CMASK == 0
#undef CMASK
#define CMASK 027
#endif
int     defumask = CMASK;

and changed it to:

#if !defined(CMASK) || CMASK == 0
#undef CMASK
/* #define CMASK 027 */
#define CMASK 551
#endif
int     defumask = CMASK;

Then did a make clean, make, make install, but a test upload showed no
change in file permissions.  Not being a programmer (working on chapter
3 of "Learn C++ in 24 hours") this was my best shot. I'm thinking either
I changed the wrong thing, didn't change enough, or it's being
over-ridden by some conf file of which I'm ignorant. If I don't get this
working I'll have to resort to a replacement ftp server daemon. Any
Ideas?
                    TIA   ...jgm