Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:56:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Michael L. Farace" <mfarace@mindspring.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.6 - System disappearing off the network sometimes

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Michael L. Farace wrote:

> Ever since I have installed FreeBSD 2.2.6, the sytem disappears off the
> network sometime, and you cannot ping or telnet to it - until some goes and
> reboots it!
>
> any clue?  It has a 3C905 NIC I belive, and is using the driver vx0.

Try going into the 3c905's setup program and forcing the link type.  Your
network cabling may be flakey enough to trick the card into trying to
renegotiate the speed.  You don't have to reboot the machine tho, you
should be able to do

ifconfig vx0 down
ifconfig vx0 up

to resurrect it.

The vx driver isn't in that great a shape right now, unfortunately, so it
could have some bugs.

NOTICE:  Make sure your mailer replies to dwhite@resnet or I won't get it!