Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:40:35 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        markc@Relationships.com (Mark Castillo), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qpopper messages in syslog

"Paul T. Root" writes:
> In a previous message, Mark Castillo said:
> > I keep getting this in my /var/log/messages file:
> >
> > Mar 27 10:35:28 friends popper[17666]: (v2.4b2) Unable to get canonical
> > name of client, err = 60
> >
> > What does thie mean and how do I get it to shut up?
>
> popper wants to know the name of the machine that's popping
> into it. Put the reverse lookup into your dns for your
> clients.

Or you could grep the popper sources for "Unable to get canonical" and
comment the line out, as I've done in several cases. (Some of us have to
put up with network managers who refuse to enter all their IP addresses
into DNS.) To do this with the ports system:

# cd /usr/ports/mail/popper
# make clean
# make patch
# cd work/qpop*
# grep "Unable to get canonical" *.c
pop_init.c:            "(v%s) Unable to get canonical name of client, err = %d",

Edit it to look something like this:

    if (ch == NULL){
#ifdef NOISEY_CANONICAL
        pop_log(p,POP_PRIORITY,
            "(v%s) Unable to get canonical name of client, err = %d",
            VERSION, errno);
#endif
        p->client = p->ipaddr;
    }

Then "cd ../.."
# make install

Others have suggested changing the config for syslogd to drop the
message. That would be the preferred solution but other than point you
to syslog_conf(5) I don't know the specifics.