Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 13:51:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@synet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, kline@tera.com
Subject:   Re: source code archives?

> From: Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
>
>    Does anybody know where there are lists of all or most
>    *Nix freeware?  Before UUNET went bigtime, they had lists
>    of all the comp.sources.* groups.   Some ftp sites have
>    indices of separate volumes, but I haven't seen a single
>    index archived anywhere.

Archie is the first place I try.

Then I try Altavista (http://Altavista.digital.com).  In addition
to searching for the name (or approximation) of the name of the
software package, I've had success by searching for the author's
name which resulted in a link to their current home page.

Good luck.

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@synet.net