Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:30:16 -0600
From:      "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd@gmail.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Haven't been able to make world in about a year

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 08:52, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > Until you are satisfied that everything works without any
> > > problems at all, please don't use scripts to run the builds.
> > >
> > > For instance, your script above lacks a call to ``mergemaster
> > > -p'' before the ``make buildworld'' step, which may be necessary.
> >
> > That's a call to 'script' to run, telling it where to put the
> > resulting text file. While it is running, commands are given and
> > executed. Later, if something goes wrong, or you saw something you
> > want to check on, you have a record of what happened that you can
> > look at, and pass on to others, if needed.
> >
> > Could you explain the logic of running mergemaster -p, when you
> > have nothing to run it on. /usr/obj was blown away at the beginning
> > of the buildworld sequence. What are you going to check at that
> > point? Please take a look at the handbook for the sequence that
> > things should occur in. I would say look at /usr/src/UPDATING, but
> > their sequence doesn't include installing the kernel anymore.
>
> He means to run mergemaster -p before make installworld, as in the
> instructions quoted at the top of this email and in
> /usr/src/UPDATING. Also, the documented sequence *does* include
> installing the kernel, so I don't know what you mean there either.
>
> Kris

He may mean that, but it's not what he said. I went by what he said.

=46rom /usr/src/UPDATING:

To rebuild everything and install it on the current system.
	# Note: sometimes if you are running current you gotta do more than
	# is listed here if you are upgrading from a really old current.

	<make sure you have good level 0 dumps>
	make buildworld
	make kernel KERNCONF=3DYOUR_KERNEL_HERE
							[1]
	<reboot in single user>				[3]
	mergemaster -p					[5]
	make installworld
	make delete-old
	mergemaster					[4]
	<reboot>

To upgrade in-place from 5.x-stable or higher to 6.x-stable
	<make sure you have good level 0 dumps>
	make buildworld					[9]
	make kernel KERNCONF=3DYOUR_KERNEL_HERE		[8]
							[1]
	<reboot in single user>				[3]
	mergemaster -p					[5]
	make installworld
	make delete-old
	mergemaster -i					[4]
	<reboot>

I just don't see where it says "make installkernel KERNCONF=3DYOUR_KERNEL.=
=20
It used to. That's where I got my original procedure from as the=20
handbook at the time was somewhat confusing. Now the procedure in the=20
handbook is better.

Don