Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 10:40:44 -0500
From:      "Douglas G. Allen" <dallen@roe35.lth2.k12.il.us>
To:        "David Pick" <D.M.Pick@qmw.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw question

David,

>However, *if* the two IP addresses are within the same subnet, then
>I do agree with you that they should have the same netmask. And should
>be on the same interface! Since the subnet mask in this case is
>255.255.255.192 it isn't clear from the "a.b.c.d" and "a.b.c.e" if
>the two addresses are in the same subnet or different but close
>subnets.

Both IP addresses are within the same subnet and are intended to be within=
 the same subnet.  In this instance, once everything is moved around and=
 loaded, d=3D60, e=3D43.  What it sounds like to me is that I need to set=
 the netmask on the alias to 255.255.255.192 and then have a set of=
 firewall rules for the true IP and the alias.  Does this sufficiently=
 clarify things?  I was under the impression that the alias had to have a=
 mask of 255.255.255.255 in order to work correctly.  Is my impression in=
 error??

						Doug