Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:18:50 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/15135: new port: devel/cervisia

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 09:12:06PM -0500, Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Bill Fumerola wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:
> >
> > > And I still pose the question, is it okay to port an application
> > > requiring the new gcc and marking as broken for < -current until the
> > > qt/kde apps require the new gcc and/or mainstream release uses it.
> >
> > USE_NEWGCC=	yes
> >

> But the app will not link if the kde libs are compiled with the old g++
> (2.7.2.3)

Checking back in the -ports archives, we considered bumping the shared
library version numbers of all the KDE libraries at the same time as
adding in USE_NEWGCC.

It seemed to be the least messy way to do things, though there will be
(understandable) muttering about having to install gcc-2.95.2 on -STABLE.

But the compiler gap between -STABLE and -CURRENT is now so wide that
such measures do probably need to be taken.

If such a change does happen, it may also be worth considering synchronising
it with a move to USE_NEWGCC for the GNOME metaport, since there seems to
be increasing amount of third-party code that can take advantage of both
environments.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.