Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 02:29:16 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Adding a new partition for FreeBSD

I've been trying to create a new partition to give more disk space for
my FreeBSD stuff.

The original disk was partitioned thus:

        1. Drive C:  FAT  255MB Primary
        2. Boot Manager (OS/2)  4MB Primary
        3. FreeBSD   UFS  512MB Primary
        4. Extended DOS 2GB Extended (2 logical drives
                  - one HPFS, one NTFS)

FreeBSD's partition is /dev/rwd0s3.

To create the extra space I used Partition Magic to shrink the HPFS &
NTFS logical drives and the Extended partition they live in. I deleted
the Boot Manager (cause of the 4 partition limit). This left 600MB after
the FreeBSD partition:

        1. Drive C: 255MB
        2. FreeBSD 512MB
        3. Unused  600MB
        4. Extended 1.5GB

The problem is when I try to create a slice in the free space it becomes
wd0s2 which means that the slice numbers for the 2 FReeBSD partitions
are the wrong way round to the order they are on the disk. I've tried
deleting the wd0s2 & rwd0s2 device nodes, but to no avail. FreeBSD's
FDISK reports partition 2 as the empty one & 3 as the existing one.

On exiting sysinstall all commands give a "Invalid argument" error,
including halt, sync & reboot so I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot and
the computer won't reboot, it gives an "Invalid Partition Table" error.

Booting from OS/2 floppy and running FDISK reveals _both_ FreeBSD
partitions flagged "startable"!!. I change this so Drive C is startable
and can then reboot but now trying to start FreeBSD gives "Partition
Empty". The only solution is to use FDISK or Partition Magic to delete
the new partition nad then FreeBSD will boot (but I need to fsck the
disk as it was't unmounted properly).

BTW I boot using the NT boot loader with a BOOTSECT.BSD file created by
dd'ing the 1st sector of wd0s3, as per the FAQ.

The bottom line appears to be that FreeBSD needs the slice numbers to be
consistent with the physical order of the slices on the disk.

Is what I am trying to achieve impossible? I've trawled through the mail
archives and tried various suggestions found there, although none of
them addresssed this particular situation.

Can anyone help? All I want is to create a single UFS slice that will be
mounted on the existing FS on /usr/radan

TIA

Mark Ovens
CNC Apps Engineer
Radan Computational Ltd, Bath, England

FreeBSD - what Windows wants to be when it grows up