Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:47:32 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        jason@dstc.edu.au, hubs@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4 upcoming release/timetabling/mirroring

From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:52:40 -0400 (EDT)

> Sounds like you totally missed Jason's point, again.

No, I didn't miss it.  You and Jason are simply asking for information
I don't have to give you and you're not going to get.  Each release
comes together from a number of sources and nobody knows in advance
just how big it's all going to be in the aggregate.  I might know
how big the "release bits" are (about 380MB), but I don't know the
size of all the packages until I get them broken out by Steve, and
he tends to get those sets to me as late as possible.  He, in turn,
has little idea how big the final ISO images of them are going to be
since mkisofs using quite a few megabytes just for the metadata, and
that depends largely on the sheer number of files there are on a given
volume.  Add to this the fact that 4.4-RELEASE will be the first one
to incorporate 5 ISO images by default, so we can't even go by past
metrics to come up with an exact size.

If you haven't got the time or energy to properly administer a mirror
given these sorts of unknowns then I can only suggest that you find
someone else to administer it for you or take it off line.  We have
plenty of mirrors these days for which disk space isn't at such a
premium that they have to clean house in advance of every release.

- Jordan