Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:42:22 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Astra 1220S in 3.1 -- archives inconclusive

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 09:23:23AM -0700, John Reynolds~ wrote:

> Hello, I searched the archives to see if people had successfully used
> the UMAX Astra 1220S scanner with FreeBSD 3.1. The only thing I found was
> that somebody had it working with 4.0-current. I saw this post:

i've had one working with both 3.1-RELEASE and 4.0-CURRENT

> I also found this post:
>
> > CAM is broken, you need to use /dev/pass6.
> >
> > Something may be broken in the 1.0 SANE... it doesn't seem to work on
> > my system, although 0.74 + my CAM mods does.  I haven't had time to
> > figure out what broke though.
>
> With no followups to it. What is /dev/pass6? Does somebody know what exactly
> this poster meant when he said "CAM is broken" and has the broken-ness been
> fixed?

/dev/pass? is a way to access the scsi device in a "raw" mode. is what the
scanner uses.

> So ... is somebody out there currenty using an Astra 1220S scanner with
> FreeBSD 3.1? Were there any hoops to jump through to get it working (kernel
> configs, patches to CAM, etc.)?

i don't think CAM is broken. sane has a problem tho, there's a problem report
ports/10147 that has a patch to sane that has not been incorporated.
you should apply that patch.

aside from that, just make sure you change the umax.conf file to point to
your pass device.

regards,

-oscar