Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:23:16 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Maxtor Firewire Drives

At 02:03 PM 24/02/2003 -0500, Bill Moran wrote:

>Good luck then.
>If you find a cheaper way to go, let me know, as I've spend hours and hours
>researching this, and the VXA drives are the best price I could find for that
>volume of backup space.
>
>On the flip side, I will have to say that we've been very happy with the
>ones we've purchased.  Fast and reliable.

Thanks for the report on the gear.

BTW, we too are still looking for a cost effective backup solution.  DDS
changes are slow and the media are pretty expensive.  We are at the point
now where we have a server with a number of big 120G IDE drives that we do
dumps to. I then cp each of the partitions over to a tmp drive on a
designated day and then offload that to the tape changer which takes close
to 18hrs to run.

The rate at which IDE drives are coming down in price, it will almost make
sense to use the drive as a 'tape' so to speak. ($1.75CDN per Gig vs 50
cent /Gig)

         ---Mike