Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:40:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Mark VandeWettering <markv@pixar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Breathing New life into an Laptop

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Mark VandeWettering wrote:

> A couple of things I'd like to fix though:
>
> a) Booting from floppy.  While I don't have hoards of disk space, I wouldn't mind
>    dedicating the necessary space for picobsd to be loaded from disk, which would
>    be oodles faster.  I know long ago there used to be fbsdboot.exe, but I couldn't
>    locate that anymore, and was unsure how it would work with the ELF kernel in anycase.

Yep. I recently received an LS-120 floppy - I'll do some work on it, and
I'll try to adjust the upcoming PicoBSD 0.50 to be able to use media of
varying sizes...

> b) Once we are booting from hard drive, it makes some sense to expand the distribution with
>    some other tools since we aren't as tightly limited on space.  I'd kind of like to have
>    vi, and a couple of unix tools like grep.   I kind of envisioned these living inside an
>    msdos file, and using the vnode stuff to create a filesystem for it.  That would enable
>    you to make a fairly competent system.  You might imagine it possible (although on my
>    machine it might be pushing it) to create a nice x-terminal using approach.
>
> Thanks in advance..

Yes, this is of course possible, and even sometimes desirable. As you say:

> A couple of things I'd like to fix though:

Patches are more than welcome! :-)

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"