Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:50:28 -0500
From:      "Charles N. Owens" <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        dayton+freebsd-stable@overx.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Squires <mikes@sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu>, kingsled@enc.edu
Subject:   Re: samba 2.0.6 crashing -stable

Soren Dayton wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been having a recurring problem with samba on my freebsd
> machines.  It began when I was running 3.2, and it appears to still be
> around with -stable.  (and samba 2.0.3, and now 2.0.6)
> Basically, when copying large files, the FreeBSD file server appears
> to lose all of its network connectivity.  It cannot be pinged, etc.
> You also cannot log in as root because it hangs after you type in
> `root' on console. (which might be concistent with all networking
> failing.  I think, but have not verified this, that anything that does
> not use NIS or some such thing will continue to work.

Some questions:

Is root a local or NIS user?

How long does this connectivity loss last?  Does it go away by itself or
do you have to force it  somehow (e.g. reset)?

Where is the NIS server (ypserv) that you're binding to in this setup?  On
the same box or on a different box?

I have a 3.2-stable box (PII-400, 128MB RAM) currently running samba 2.0.5
and I'm wondering if I'm seeing the same thing.  When trying to access
files via samba I'll encounter 30+ second delays for no apparent reason.
I've not noticed that all net traffic stops but I'm going start looking.

The box is running as a plain vanilla NIS client.  You've got me wondering
about this though... I think I'll try making it a slave NIS server and
then binding the client locally.

Are you thinking that some kind of subtle (or not so subtle) samba problem
is somehow jamming the network interface... causing ypbind to cough...
then while it is trying to sort things out (rebinding perhaps) samba is
hung waiting for any pending user database lookups to complete?

If this is what you're thinking then we have at least two paths two
pursue:

   * Find root cause
   * Optimize NIS implementation to minimize effects of problem
     (perhaps by making client a slave server to keep the client
     binding and lookup traffic local)

As far as the root cause is concerned I've got less to say.  Interestingly
enough, I _also_ am using a Intel Pro 10/100 nic !  That makes three of
us, doesn't it?  Following Mike Squires' lead, here's my fxp0 stats (from
netstat -i)

Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
fxp0  1500  <Link>      00.a0.c9.d6.54.7d 64352010    19 88144552     0     0

Similar pattern as far as errors go.  This may be completely meaningless,
though.  I think some of the discussion between you two wasn't cc:'d to
this list, so you may have covered this... but do you suspect the problem
is somehow related to the nic?

I'll let you know what happens after I make the samba server a NIS slave
server.

Thanks,

Charles
  Charles N. Owens                               Email: owensc@enc.edu
                                            http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx