Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 03:16:05 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, mark@grondar.za, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Luigi's sound code not compiling?

Luigi Rizzo scribbled this message on Sep 18:
> > And the commit message was not that clear as to the impact to the
> > driver till it was too late :(
>
> May I ask where and when the select->poll change was discussed before
> the commit ? Just to listen to the appropriate groups and avoid similar
> problems in the future...

well.. it was discussed on both -hackers or -current... but I don't
remeber if the code commit was announced or not...  just the commit
messages is all I remeber...

> > Now next are third party hardware developers with drivers -- hope
> > someone can reach them to tell them about this new wonderful
> > feature.
>
> I share the feeling... at the very least I wonder why the change has
> not been made in a way to insure backward compatibility, e.g. without
> changing procedure names and types, augmenting the values passed in
> former "rw" (now "events") parameters, and making checks on the return
> value more tolerant for old interfaces.

because the problem is that how would you know to use the old interface,
and there is not an easy way to convert the new interface to the old
interface.. what do you do with new options? just not pass them.. then
you end up with kernel bloat because no one changed the last few drivers
over to the new code..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD