Date:      25 Jul 2001 00:32:04 -0700
From:      Jon Noack <noackjr@compgeek.com>
To:        clay@tycksen.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd box as a porn filter?

> Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> writes:
>
> You know, I wasn't paying much attention to this thread, but the
> solution is very simple. I've seen one client do it and it works fine.
> First, establish a written policy that work computers are for work,
> period.  And establish a written policy for punishments for viewing
> potentially offensive material on company computers. This leaves nothing
> to be questioned.  Then put up a squid proxy (which is a good idea
> anyway, for the sake of optimizing your existing bandwidth) and make it
> public that you're logging *everything* that people do on their
> computers, in compliance with the written policy.  Then, after a month
> or so, do a text search through the logs for words like "porn", "sex",
> etc.  Track down the IPs of who did it, and deal with them in accordance
> to the written policy. We only had to approach 1 person, after that,
> word got out that the policy was serious and we haven't seen anything in
> the logs since.  It takes a very short amount of time to check the logs
> each month, and even less time if there are no violations.

As a unix geek who helps out a private high school over the summer, I have
also had the "pleasure" of dealing with content filtering.  The school I
work for has a written user agreement outlining expectations as well as
punishments (e.g. loss of internet access, loss of computing privileges,
etc.) in addition to a content filter.  The content filtering solution we
pursued was a firewall w/ content filtering (available as an option) from
SonicWall.  We have about a $60,000/year budget so the $1500 cost of the
firewall (we needed one anyway) and the $600/year content filtering
subscription was not a big deal.  We had looked into SquidGuard, but my
boss (a windows guy) did not want to worry about (A) working on a unix
system and (B) having to update the list of blocked servers.  With the
content filtering subscription, we get automatic weekly updates of the
CyberPatrol CyberNot list and can block many different categories of sites
we deem inappropriate.  Our only goal with this filtering was to prevent
90% of our users from even trying to surf porn and scare away 90% of those
who do try to surf porn with a rather emphatic "blocked" page (i.e. "THIS
INCIDENT HAS BEEN LOGGED.").  The other 1% (total) will eventually get
caught (by filter logs or by an actual person) and punished.  The filtering
covers us from possible lawsuits by parents irate that their spoiled
children saw something they shouldn't have seen, as we have taken measures
to prevent such activity.  The user agreement also requires a parent
signature if the student is not an adult (under 18 years old).  These
measures completely shield us from legal action.  We state we will try to
provide teacher supervision at all times, but this is not always possible.
The punishments range from a warning to expulsion for students.  Our
faculty and staff sign a similar user agreement and face punishments
ranging from a warning to getting fired.  The punishment level is based on
severity as well as whether there were any previous offenses.

Probably the most important step we have taken is being very formal and
clear about the user agreement, the content filtering, and that WE LOG
EVERYTHING.  This will scare away >99% of your users and catch the
remaining <1%.  If you are very organized and communicate well with the
students and parents, most of your problems go away...

Jon Noack