Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:44:50 -0500
From:      "Samuel f. Stover" <livna@msn.com>
To:        <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Hardware guide issue.

A couple of things I guess.  First, when I try to choose my CD-ROM as my
installation media (at the end of the Novice Installation), it tells me that
there is not a CD present.  I booted to a FreeBSD bootable CD to start the
installation, so my CD-ROM is functional.  Further, I have installed RedHat
on this exact hardware config and it worked, so I know that my hardware is
OK.  I have a Plextor 12x SCSI CD-ROM on an Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller,
both of which are supported by FreeBSD.

That leads me to the specific problem that you asked me to report on your
website:
"If you are having hardware trouble, or FreeBSD refuses to boot at all, read
the Hardware Guide provided on the boot floppy for a list of possible
solutions"  When I try to read the Hardware Guide, it tells me that it isn't
available.

I also tried to create a boot floppy using fdimage and boot.flp and I still
can't read the Hardware Guide.  I'm not sure it would help if I could read
it, but you asked for us to let you know if we got confused:
"The FreeBSD boot floppy contains all the on-line documentation you should
need to be able to navigate through an installation and if it does not then
we would like to know what you found most confusing."

Thanks.

Samuel f. Stover