Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 13:21:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sound card help

Hi,

Maybe you folks can help...

I just took a stab at sound using a SB compatible card.  The sb device and
OPL device are found, but not the sbxvi0 device.  From what I can gather
this means that I'm left with only 8 bit sound.

Here's what I get on boot:

sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
sb0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>
sbxvi0 not found
opl0 at 0x388 on isa
opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>

Now I see the only thing I can really select on the sbvxi0 device is the
drq.  I couldn't tell you what a drq is to save my life.  IRQ, yep, base
address, got it...  I've tried a pretty full range to no avail.  The sb0
device is at drq 1, and the floppy controller is at 2.  As far as I can
tell there's no way to set this on the card.  Any ideas?

The card came from a Packard Bell, and other than an amusing sticker that
says "B GRADE", I don't have any info on the manufacturer.  The chip that
appears to do all the work is an Aztech 2316-S.

Any ideas?  Any other info that might be helpful?  Might I have better
luck with the pcm driver?  I couldn't find any pcm vs. sb entries in the
FAQ or handbook.

Thanks,

Charles

Charles Sprickman
spork@super-g.com
----
                           "I'm not a prophet or a stone-age man
                           Just a mortal with potential of a superman
                           I'm living on"      -DB