Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 10:07:49 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Noses <noses@bnc.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Casing wanted

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 01:35:09PM +0200, Noses wrote:
> ... dead or alive (although alive seems to be the better deal).
>=20
> I've got to build (as proof of concept) a server with nine (_9_)
> UDMA IDE disks (eight of them connected to a 2ware RAID controller)
> and now the fact that U-IDE cables mustn't be longer than 45 cm is
> biting my ass. Does anybody know a casing fitting an ATX board with
> a 3ware 6800 controller and space for all those disks? I took a look
> at the Chenbro Net and Echo series but no matter what I'm going to do
> no more than five disks will be connected. 3ware of course is pretty
> un-helpful (basically telling me that they're happy that it is my
> problem and not theirs).

The PC Power & Cooling Solid Steel Tower has 10 bays, 8 external.
If you pick up one of their 500W or redundent 420W power supplies
and a couple of drive Y-s you should be able to connect everything.
You'll also have to buy mounting kits for all the drives as well since
all the bays are are 5.25".  I haven't used those systems, but I own
one of the mid towers and I'm quite happy with it.  It's really solid
with no rough edges or anything.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/enclosures/professional/pro_towers/i=
ndex.htm

-- Brooks