Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 15:36:23 +0000
From:      "Jeremy D. Hartley" <ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Slow Ftp Logins, Need to find an answer.

Greetings everyone.
I think I just need to be pointed in the right direction, as it is, I don't
know where to ever start.
I just got a few e-mails from a client saying that it takes about 45
seconds for his ftp client to connect to his server.
I am running version wu-2.4.2 Beta 17.
I tryed it out, and this is indeed the case.
The ftp client connects to the ftp port almost instantly, however, it takes
almost 45 seconds for the server to return the welcome and login screen.
This is constant.
For a test, I tryed connecting to another machine, running the same version
of the server software.
I am using wu-ftpd 2.4.2Beta17, and FreeBSD 2.2.6 for both machines.
It connected instantly with no delays.
Like I said, I don't even know where to start looking to find the problem.
I looked through /var/log/messages
but no ftpd errors were recorded.
I even looked in xferlog, but nothing.
I am not afraid to do research, but if someone could point me in the right
direction, or give me some information, I would appreciate it.
Thank you very much.
Jeremy