Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:05:14 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Sie LAW <law_sy@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail problem

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 12:05:11AM -0800, Sie LAW wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having problem trying to use sendmail program to send email from
> my FreeBSD PC to internet through a SMTP proxy. Can anyone help me as
> in how to configure my sendmail to use my SMTP proxy.

You can find a lot of information on relaying mail through your ISP's
smtp server in the handbook and the faq.

Start at the "Electronic Mail : FAQ" section:
[ http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/mailfaq.html ]

The basic setup, which I repeated for a machine in one of my friends
home is roughly equivalent to:

	# cd /usr/src/etc/sendmail/
	# cp freebsd.mc localhost.mc

Then edit localhost.mc to suit your needs[1].  While editing the .mc
file, you will find a lot of valuable information in the file
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README

After you have edited localhost.mc, execute (still as a superuser):

	# make localhost.cf
	# cd /usr/obj/usr/src/etc/sendmail
	# cp -f localhost.cf /etc/sendmail.cf

Pay special attention to the define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.isp.com')dnl
statement.  You should replace mail.isp.com with your ISP's mail
gateway.

[1] This step is not so easy as it sounds, if you start from scratch.
    Luckily `freebsd.mc' contains all the essential parts.  Minor
    changes are required, and you're ready to go :)

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]