Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:37:27 -0400
From:      parv <parv_fm@emailgroups.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, Dinesh Nadarajah <dinesh_list@sbcglobal.net>
Subject:   Re: Howto find packages

in message <20031016160121.GA14726@users.munk.nu>,
wrote Jez Hancock thusly...

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 04:44:06PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:59:00AM -0700, Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:
> > > For eample, in Debian, I can use "apt-cache search mozilla" and this
> > > will list all packages with mozilla in it and then I can select the
> > > package for installation.
> >
> > You can use the ports tree to search for what ports/packages are
> > available:
> >
> >     % cd /usr/ports
> >     % make search key=foo
> >     % make search name=bar
> I noticed a useful looking port tool here recently:
>
> /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/portsearch

(path corrected)

> Another simple way is to search the INDEX file directly:
>
> grep "^mozilla" /usr/ports/INDEX

There is also a perl module as a port to find various things about
a port...

   /usr/ports/textproc/p5-FreeBSD-Ports

...author's web page...

   http://people.freebsd.org/~tom/portpm/

Now to toot my own horn, solid steel perl wheel reinvented (version
=>5.6 syntax that could be easily molded for use w/ version
5.005)...

   http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/src/perl/parse-index.perl
   http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/src/perl/parse-index.perl.pod

   Supporting module:
      http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/src/perl/modules/Util.pm

...mind you that the path for the supporting module, Util.pm, needs
to be manually adjusted in parse-index.perl.

  - Parv