Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:46:20 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Paul Murphy <pnmurphy@cogeco.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Shell variables

    please keep the line length below 75 characters. thank you.

# pnmurphy@cogeco.ca / 2002-12-12 07:59:22 -0500:
>  I am having trouble understanding what is the difference between
>  "$variable" and "${variable}".

    if the variable name is really "variable", then none.

>  I have read sh(1) and understand than ${} is a "parameter" and can
>  contain more than just a variable, but browsing through /etc/rc I see
>  lots of "${variable}" (i.e. "case ${svc_val} in").
>
>  Is this just for readability or is there some functional difference?

     sh(1):

     The simplest form for parameter expansion is:
           ${parameter}

     The value, if any, of parameter is substituted.
     The parameter name or symbol can be enclosed in braces, which are
                                  ^^^
     optional except for positional parameters with more than one digit
     ^^^^^^^^
     or when parameter is followed by a character that could be
     interpreted as part of the name.

     so yes, it's mostly a matter of style.