Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 2003 11:16:35 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        soralx@cydem.zp.ua
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DDoS attacks, packets captured ... not sure what to do.

soralx@cydem.zp.ua wrote:
> I doubt that all the packets are sent from one real IP. But, I tnink,
> it may be possible to determine the IP of an attacker, because it's
> not just a DoS attack. He may use other methods later. I am almost
> sure he tried to scan ports earlier, probably with `nmap -v -O` to
> determine the OS, and now he knows what packets to send.

Knowing his IP address is useless, if it's a denial of service,
unless you have a peering agreement with his NSP/ISP, and/or are
within driving distance, and own a shotgun.

> BTW, what were the UDP packets for? Scanning?

I don't know.  You didn't characterize them well enough for anyone
to make a guess.  If they were all frags, with one frag missing,
then they were an intentional denial of service on your UDP packet
reassembly buffer, which is relatively sucky in FreeBSD.  Otherwise,
they might have been a Linux NFS over UDP client (same thing, really),
or some other attack (e.g. attempted DNS poisoning, etc.).

-- Terry