Date:      28 Sep 2000 23:49:48 GMT
From:      Kees Pons <zira@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape crashes

Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.EDU> wrote:
: Janet Sullivan wrote:
:>
:> Chip wrote:
:> >
:>
:> > > Any suggestions as to how I can make Netscape more stable on FreeBSD?
:> > > Right now I'm running it off the RedHat box and displaying it to my
:> > > FreeBSD X display, but this isn't an ideal solution.
:>
:> > Turn off javascript and java in the preferences. It has helped
:> > immensely on mine. I've seen this mentioned numerous times in the
:> > past.
:>
:> What if you need to run JAVA applets?  Is there an alternative?
:>
:> Is this a problem with Netscape or FreeBSD?  I ask because the
:> 4.75-Linux version that crashes on FreeBSD is out of the same tarball as
:> the version running on RedHat 6.2 that hasn't crashed once.

: Its definately a Netscape problem. Random crashes have been with
: Netscape for so long that if someone fixed it, it wouldn't be Netscape
: anymore. Its almost a tradition now. :)

One of the bugs I have found was in the java-script variable
"screen.colorDepth".
 I made a test html program and netscape was exiting everytime with signal 10 or 11.
 After i patched that variable in netscape it was running ok (without the
possebillety to youse that variable ofcourse )
But there are more bugs in the java-script option.....