Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:32:58 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        housley@nest.pr-comm.com (James E. Housley), brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: User PPP problems sometime after 2.2.0

As James E. Housley wrote:

> I have been tracking 2.2-STABLE via CVSup and it has been a while since I
> compiled the updates.  I did a make world and now I am haveing problems
> with user PPP.  If I do 'ppp osprey' and then 'term' and manually dial
> and log in everything is fine.  However, if I do 'ppp osprey' and then
> 'dial'.  The modem dials and connects and then hangs up.  I have have a
> log file showing both sequences, but it is very large.  I turned on ALL
> set log entries.  In the second sequence I get a Disconnected! very early
> in the link setup.

I think you've got a problem in LCP or IPCP negotiation, and since the
negotiation doesn't converge for some reason, both sides decide to
hangup in the end.  That's what the Disconnected! comes from.

It's probably the most useful level to log `LCP' (which i understand
also includes IPCP).

--
cheers, J"org