Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:47:50 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is the best secure_level setting?

Mike writes:

> Once you turn it up to 1, you can't install a
> new kernel or load kernel modules.

Yes, I noticed the schg flag on /kernel.  But I can modify rc.conf to set the
level lower and then reboot to make kernel modifications, right?

> Things that can be reached from the internet
> are set to 3. System things on them don't
> change very often, so this isn't much of an
> inconvenience.

Well, my system can be reached via SMTP, but that's it for the time being.
However, since I am trying to get used to FreeBSD as it would run in a
production environment, I wanted to run with the highest possible security level
just to become familiar with whatever restrictions this imposes.  I've been
running with the level set to 3 for a while now and I haven't noticed any major
awkwardness in running the system.