Date:      Tue, 09 Oct 2001 12:33:48 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Tom Peck <tom@masaclaw.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS sharing an NFS Mount

Tom Peck wrote:
> Is it possible to nfs share a mount that has been mounted using nfs?

Not without violating safety guarantees in the protocol as
regars not returning writes until they have been committed
to stable storage.

> I have one system which holds files, which is shared using nfs.  I have
> another system which mounts this nfs share from the other system.  This share
> then needs to be shared from the second system to all other available
> systems..

You can't do this.  It sounds like you need a VPN, or to
simply have all the other systems mount the first one.

> I have tried without success to let this happen.  How can this nfs
> mount be added to the /etc/fstab file?  I assume it has to be before
> the /etc/exports file has been read..

You can't do this because the NFS code will not permit it
to happen.

By the same token, you do not want to mix any other network
FS with more than one hop (SMBFS, NWFS, AFS, AppleTalk, etc.).

-- Terry