Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 08:40:48 -0700
From:      Mike Piatek <mrpiatek@ece.ucsb.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        dcs@newsguy.com
Subject:   Re: XFree86 memory leak with new FreeBSD kernel

On Mon, 29 May 2000 06:05:19 Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> Mike Piatek wrote:
> >
> > I installed FreeBSD 4.0 when it was released and have not had any problems
until
> > I did a make world yesterday.  Everything seemed to install okay, except
today
> > when I checked process memory usage, XFree86 4.0 had eaten up over 100mb
of
> > memory overnight.  I thought this might have something to do with using
XFree86 4.0,
> > so I downgraded to version 3.3.6 and still have the same problem (memory
is
> > leaking slower, however).  I assume that this has something to do with the
FreeBSD
> > kernel not deallocating when it is supposed to.  Any ideas?
>
> Forgive me for asking, but what evidence do you have of memory leak? A
> lot of people make such claims out of plain ignorance of what the memory
> stats on top(1) mean.

Well, yes, I was looking at top, but I also was looking at how much swap space
was being used.  Usually in XFree86 4.0, X windows will be "using" about
90-100mb of RAM.  When I checked it, that amount had increased to over 225mb of RAM.
When I looked at the swap usage, it was up at 90mb (I have 192mb of RAM and was
not running any other processes which were using a significant amount of RAM).
Most of the other processes were swapped out.  Then when I tried to kill X with
control-alt-backspace, the entire machine crashed.

I have not noticed this with any other binaries, which is why I tried to
reinstall version 3.3.6 of XFree86.  If no one knows of a fix, I suppose I can go back
to 4.0-RELEASE and try again, but things are busy right now and it would be
difficult to spend that much time on this.

Mike