Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:57:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      dave adkins <adkin003@gold.tc.umn.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        David A Adkins <adkin003@gold.tc.umn.edu>
Subject:   4M pages and XFree3.3 32 bit mode and crash

Hi,

Since the changes in the VM subsytem to use 4M pages, X dies when loading
a background in 24 and 32 bit mode.

Initially I thought this might just be an SMP problem, but I had the same
failure with a UP kernel. The SVGA server only supports linear address and
MMIO so I couldn't try it with those features shut off.

It appears that when the Xserver maps a region larger than 4M,
pmap_addr_hint rounds addr to the next 4M boundary which causes the crash.
Comment out pmap_addr_hint and the Xserver run fine in 32 bit mode.

dave adkins
adkin003@gold.tc.umn.edu