Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 2014 05:00:44 -0400
From:      Allen <SlackWareWolf@comcast.net>
To:        <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>, Jorge Luis Carvalho Santos <jorgeassembler1@outlook.com>, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-chat-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Subject:   Re: To that create a FAQ that says no be unreliable?

Before I say anything else, I'm sorry for top posting everyone, I'm doing
this on my phone since it's currently my only way to email, but I just
wanted to say that in my opinion, FreeBSD, has a great wealth of
documentation, and although every BSD has great online documentation and
great stuff to read on the Web, FreeBSD does have a LOT of books you can
order from the FreeBSD mall. (that's a little bit of a plug for the FreeBSD
mall; I don't work there or get paid by them, I'm just a guy who's ordered
almost everything from it and had very good experiences each time from
them) I have basically every book available from that site and though they
get dated fast, that's to be expected when you consider how fast FreeBSD is
worked on, tweaked, fixed, and bettered, and no book publisher could keep
up with the speed of the FreeBSD team. One of the best books written (the
complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey) talks about this in one of the chapters. I
got my first look at that when I first got introduced to FreeBSD, back when
I bought the FreeBSD PowerPak which came with the third edition, and
FreeBSD 4.0-Current and then I bought the newest one from O'Reilly (the
brown one) when I made my first purchase from the FreeBSD Mall. I truly
Love that book, and Greg talks about how a new edition of a book once a
year would be considered quite frequent. As opposed to a new version of
FreeBSD coming basically twice a year. Even with all of that in mind
though, FreeBSD does seem to have way more books available for purchase,
along with the usual online docs, FAQs, man pages, help, and other HOWTOs
and manuals, and they are better known at least in my area (Southeast
Michigan) since I've bought FreeBSD books at book stores here as well.
Sorry about the length, and having to use a phone app email client; Hope
this email displays properly for everyone, I've not used this client to
post on the lists before, I usually use a computer and proper client.

-Allen

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com