Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 02:39:08 -0400
From:      Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Yet another cyrus/SASL problem

Trying to install cyrus today after cvsupping ports, I ran headlong into
the following error in cyrus-sasl...

// begin quote

===>  Extracting for cyrus-sasl-1.5.24
 >> Checksum mismatch for cyrus-sasl-1.5.24.tar.gz.
Make sure the Makefile and md5 file
(/usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl/files/md5) are up to date.  If you are
absolutely sure you want to override this "check, type make NO_CHECKSUM=yes
[other args]".

// end quote

I jumped through a couple hoops before mailing the list, including..

.doing a 'make clean' in /usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl and retrying.
.doing a 'make distclean' in /usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl and retrying
.deleting the /usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl directory and cvsupping ports,
and retrying.

.. and various and sundry other attempts.  After they all failed, I did the
NO_CHECKSUM thing and it installed ok, but cyrus was unable to authenticate
any users.  Documentation on cyrus is pretty sparse, so it's possible that
I could have just misconfigured it, but since this package is the auth
package and that's what I'm having trouble with, I thought I'd try and get
this cleared up before beating my head against the nearly nonexistant
documentation any longer.

Thanks for any suggestions/updates.