Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:23:26 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: does XFree86 installed from CD lack anything?

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 8:29, BSD baby wrote:
> > > Does the default install of XFree86 4.2 binaries from the
> > > FreeBSD 4.7 CD-Rom lack any drivers?  PCI video drivers, maybe?
> > >
> > > When I set up a new FreeBSD 4.7 box from CD-Rom I choose the
> > > option to install "all sources + XFree binaries" since I'm
> > > going to be running XFree86/KDE.
> > >
> > > Usually it's not a problem, but on a new box with no AGP slot,
> > > I've tried TWO different XFree-approved PCI video cards and
> > > BOTH give me this error:
> > >
> > > ------------
> > > Fatal server error:
> > > XFree86 has found a valid card configuration.
> > > Unfortunately the appropriate data has not been added to
> > > xf86PciInfo.h. ------------
> > >

> > > my "scanpci -v" has this:
> > >
> > > pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x0b function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device
> > > 0x002d NVidia Riva TNT2 M64
> > >   STATUS    0x02b0  COMMAND 0x0007
> > >   CLASS     0x03 0x00 0x00  REVISION 0x15
> > >   BIST      0x00  HEADER 0x00  LATENCY 0x20  CACHE 0x00
> > >   BASE0     0xde000000  addr 0xde000000  MEM
> > >   BASE1     0xdc000008  addr 0xdc000000  MEM PREFETCHABLE
> > >   MAX_LAT   0x01  MIN_GNT 0x05  INT_PIN 0x01  INT_LINE 0x0b
> >
> > I believe you have to go through the "non-trivial" exercise of
> > installing the Nvidia driver..I have not done this yet, due to lack of
> > patience, but several people on the list have been there and done it,
> > look back in the recent archives for long discussions on it...
> > Or probably someone else will give you a pointer.
> > Nvidia support for FreeBSD is very new.
>
> I wish that was it!
>
> But I had the same thing happen with a very standard ATI Rage 128 PCI
> card.
>
> Exact same errors. The new NVidia card was a last resort.
>
> Both are listed as fully supported by XFree 4.2

Try installing XFree86 from the packages tree instead of directly from the
distributions. In older versions of FreeBSD, installing from distributions
would give you XFree86 3.3.6 (which was still considered to be the "stable"
X server), and you would have to install 4.x from packages right at the end
of the install. I don't know if this is still the case with 4.7, I havn't
needed a fresh install in ages.

Even better, try using CVSup to upgrade your ports tree, then
[install/upgrade to] the latest XFree86 from ports. At last time I
upgraded, it seemed to automatically include nVidia drivers (and everything
else you need, even drivers for "abandoned" 3Dfx hardware) I would really
do this any way as the XFree86 packages included with the 4.7 CD are
obsolete and have been replaced by XFree86 4.2.1, which is really worth the
download time to upgrade.

While you're at it, also make sure to upgrade to KDE 3.1, it is a huge
improvement over the 3.0.x version included on the CD, and alot of security
and stability issues have been addressed. Also, the CD version only comes
with the kdebase and kdelibs modules. The other modules have stacks and
stacks of nifty applications and bells and wistles for you to play with, to
get them, you'll have to upgrade anyway, since they will need the latest
kdebase and kdelibs.

You can check the handbook for instructions on CVSup, ports and
portinstall/portupgrade.

Will

Willie Viljoen
Freelance IT Consultant