Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 12:32:21 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        rui zhao <zhaorui929@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: question on the setting up of the PPP connection

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 11:20:53PM +1000, rui zhao wrote:
> dear sir,
>
>      I try to connection two computers which have
> FreeBSD installed in through null-modem cable using
> PPP connection.
>      In the freebsd handbook, I can not find the
> related information which talk about PPP connection on
> null modem cable.
>      Can you tell me why? or It happens because i
> didn't find the right place in the handbook.
>      I use the ppp.conf file in server and client side
> which is provided on the website
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample
>     # Example to connect using a null-modem cable:
>
> the command I used is:
> ppp -background direct-server
>
>      but I got an error message in the log file which
> is:
>      can not find CD.
>      I think CD means carrier detect. why it happens?
> thanks a lot for your help.
>
> Rui
>
> http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
> - A great way to communicate long-distance for FREE!

Hi,

I quickly read the example script and it seems to me that what you want to
do is ppp over tcp/ip. That means that a working tcp connection should exist
between the two machines. The best way to accomplish this is to use SLIP or
PLIP. You should be able to 'ping' the both machines from eachother after that.
When set up, you could add ppp to inetd.conf as described in the example.
The client should then be able to connect using the tcp-client part in the
example.

If you just need a tcp/ip connection between the machines (so you can FTP etc)
SLIP or PLIP setup is sufficient.

Gr,
--
Axel Scheepers