Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:18:03 +0800
From:      "Michael Boman" <boman@viewinternet.com>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Handbook addition

Hi Greg!
Okey, I get it =) - See below.

<desc>
CUPS:
The Common UNIX Printing System ("CUPS") is a cross-platform printing
solution for all UNIX environments. It is based on the "Internet
Printing Protocol" and provides complete printing services to most
PostScript and raster printers. CUPS is provided under the GNU GPL.

You can install cups using ports or packages. For ports you change
directory to /usr/ports/print/cups and type "make all install clean".
Once that is done you can start the cups daemon by typing
"/usr/local/sbin/cupsd".

For futher information regarding configuration of cups, or anything
else regarding cups please point your browser to http://www.cups.org
</desc>

You may edit it in any way you see fit. I release this few lines at
the same license the FreeBSD handbook is using, or as public domain -
whatever you see fit.

Best regards
 Michael Boman

PS
 The first paragraph is stolen from www.cups.org =(

 An alternative to that paragraph can be this (stolen from CUPS port
description in FreeBSD):

<desc>
CUPS provides a portable printing layer for UNIX-based operating
systems. It has been developed by Easy Software Products to promote a
standard printing solution for all UNIX vendors and users. CUPS
provides the System V and Berkeley command-line interfaces.

CUPS uses the Internet Printing Protocol ("IPP") as the basis for
managing print jobs and queues. The Line Printer Daemon ("LPD")
Server
Message Block ("SMB"), and AppSocket (a.k.a. JetDirect) protocols are
also supported with reduced functionality. CUPS adds network printer
browsing and PostScript Printer Description ("PPD") based printing
options to support real-world printing under UNIX.

CUPS also includes a customized version of GNU Ghostscript (currently
based off GNU Ghostscript 5.50) and an image file RIP that are used
support non-PostScript printers. Sample drivers for HP and EPSON
printers are included that use these filters.

- - George Reid
greid@ukug.uk.freebsd.org
</desc>

DS

PPS
 Yeah, I've stole allot of text here, but gimme a break. It's early
in the morning and I haven't had my coffe yet ;)
DDS