Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 21:01:11 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wireless Laptop NICs

Hi,

I had this URL bookmarked. I was dreaming about this once....Only to be dragged
kicking and screaming back into reality.

http://hydra.carleton.ca/articles/hispeed.html

Regards
Willem Brown

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 09:58:47AM -0700, Rick Hamell wrote:

> > >  At this point my only other option is Packet Radio, but I'd
> > > need to get a ham licence for that unless I can figure out how to run it
> > > in the citizen bands. :) Has anybody done this?
> >
> > 	If you mean the CB radio bands, that would be a violoation of their
> > parameters. There's lots of hams doing packet radio with freebsd though,
> > just check the archives.
>
> 	Well, by Citizen bands I meant 900Mhz, and the 2.3ghz (?) range,
> which can both be broadcast in without a licence. I'm probally looking at
> the 2.3 gig range because I want to be able to connect 20-30 miles
> away. With out several transmitters and repeater stations, the 900mhz
> range won't do that. The problem with the packet radio is that it's
> limited to 9600 buad, *IF* that. Telnet would be fine, but any kind of
> file transfers will be pretty slow. Now, if anyone has a TNC for sale
> fairly cheap, I might be interested in seeing how that works. :)
>

> 						Rick

 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

Is not that the nature of men and women -- that the pleasure is in the
learning of each other?
		-- Natira, the High Priestess of Yonada, "For the World is
		   Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky", stardate 5476.3.