Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:40:24 -0500
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SOLVED: Re: firewall and dmz questions

Summary of previous email:  I couldn't reach a web server that was designated as a DMZ (using a Linksys cable modem/router) from the internet.  Access to ssh from internet was successful; so some ports were accessible.  Firewall configuration looked correct.  Access could be achieved by using "open" firewall -- not an acceptable option.

Solution:  Desparately trying any idea, I deactivated the router's DMZ function and used the router's port forwarding features to forward specific ports to the server.  Both the internal and external network can access the web server now.

Does anyone know why port forwarding would work when the DMZ option wouldn't?

Thanks,

Andrew Gould