Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 21:44:39 +0200
From:      Barry Irwin <bvi@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: df inconsistency

On Fri 1999-09-03 (15:10), Steve Friedrich wrote:
> df output on my system:
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/wd1s1e   1113967   929244    95606    91%    /usr
>
> Problem is that (total blocks) - (used blocks) does not equal
> (available blocks)
> 1113967 - 929244 = 184723 = 83%
>
> 95606/1113967 = 9% (so the inverse is 91%)
>
> So it appears that 89117 are "unavailable" but not counted as "used".

I wouild suggest that this is due to the fact that a certian percentage of a
drive's space is reserved for root.  From the newfs manpage

     -m free space %
             The percentage of space reserved from normal users; the minimum
             free space threshold.  The default value used is defined by
             MINFREE from <ufs/ffs/fs.h>, currently 8%.  See tunefs(8) for
             more details on how to set this option.

man tunefs has the following  to report:
     -m minfree
         Specify the percentage of space held back from normal users; the
             minimum free space threshold.  The default value used is 8%.
             This value can be set to zero, however up to a factor of three in
             throughput will be lost over the performance obtained at a 10%
             threshold. Settings of 5% and less force space optimization to
             always be used which will greatly increase the overhead for file
             writes.  Note that if the value is raised above the current usage
             level, users will be unable to allocate files until enough files
             have been deleted to get under the higher threshold.

It  is this same thign which allows filesystems to become 101% full.

Barry