Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:53:29 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Gigabit nics?

We're looking at testing some gigabit NICs and am wondering if anyone has
any experience with them.  I've found four vendors that make them:

Alteon (<http://www.alteonwebsystems.com/products/acenic/index.asp>)
Myricom/Myrinet (<http://www.myri.com/myrinet/PCI64/m3f-pci64b.html>)
Intel
3COM

The Alteon and Myrinet sites advertise compatibility with FreeBSD and what
really got my attention on this was a Duke University project:

***************
<http://www.cs.duke.edu/ari/trapeze/>;

We did not improve the TCP/IP protocol software and we did not build or
modify high-speed LAN hardware. These are significant technical
achievements that we claim no credit for. The credit for the LAN is due to
Myricom, and the credit for gigabit-capable TCP/IP software is due to
others, e.g., Van Jacobson, Dave Borman, and many others who have
contributed to TCP/IP over the years, as well as to its implementation in
FreeBSD. Moreover, our result was made possible by advancing endstation
hardware, most notably 64-bit PCI.

Typical TCP socket implementations running over typical gigabit LANs (e.g.,
a Gigabit Ethernet using the standard 1500-byte MTU) deliver about half a
gigabit per-second. We set up a DEC/Compaq Alpha 21264 (XP1000) workstation
with prototype LANai-7 Myrinet cards donated by Myricom, installed our
firmware, booted an enhanced FreeBSD kernel, and measured TCP bandwidths
above 1.1 gigabits per second -- twice as fast as typical workstations and
operating systems connected to current gigabit-per-second LANs.

which used FreeBSD and Digital Unix in conjunction with Myrinet and Alteon
equipment.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Oscar