Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 07:10:09 +0900
From:      "Akinori -Aki- MUSHA" <knu@idaemons.org>
To:        vsilyaev@mindspring.com
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   About VMware port

  Hi,

  I'd like to ask you something before I touch your VMware 1.1 port
and import VMware 2.0 port.

  My questions are these:

1. The current emulators/vmware port uses the patches
vmmon-freebsd-0.94 and vmnet-freebsd-0.10, but the latest versions of
them are 0.95 and 0.11.  Should the latest patches work with VMware
1.1?

2. The port's maintainer is currently you, but the VMware port seems
very much concerning or depending on the Linux compatibility API specs,
which are discussed here in the -emulation list.  Do you mind if I
change the maintainer address to the freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org?
(Of course, your suggestion will be respected just the same)

3. The Linux procfs port seems working well with VMware and I don't
see any reason for one to prefer fakeprocfs which asks some binaries
to be setuid'ed to root.  Is there any problem when I set the default
behavior to using the Linux procfs port?  Or rather, when removing
fakeprocfs support?

  Besides, I made some cosmetic changes to the stock vmware port, plus
prepared a refined vmware2 port.  Please test them if you have time.

	http://people.freebsd.org/~knu/ports/emulators/

Changes:
  - make portlint happy. (Still grumbling but there's no error now)
  - avoid creating files out of workdir
  - remove the void directory "patch" (What ever was this?)
  - get to install VMware tools (2.0 port only)
  - adjust indentation/whitespace
  - get to use Linux procfs by default
  - etc.

Notes:
  - I only tested the vmware2 port (which I have a purchased license)
  - Without Linux procfs, you need to setuid some of the binaries to
  root.  Currently I'm not sure which ones are safe to setuid or which
  ones are enough to run VM.

--
                           /
                          /__  __

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."