Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:26:32 -0800
From:      Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com>
Subject:   Re: IBM JDK status

Just an update on the broken IBM JDK issue. I've been working with the
Linux emulation people, and we've narrowed the problem down to a bug
somewhere in the kernel -- most likely in modify_ldt(). Here's what
we've found:

* modify_ldt() is returning an illegal value (the selector index) when
called with func 0x11.

* The main JVM thread is receiving a SIGSEGV immediately thereafter.

* An endless stream of kernel trap 26 (segment-not-present) errors is
recorded in /var/log/messages.

* The exact same sequence of calls does not fail on Linux.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to capture any core dumps since (on
my system) the process hangs and does not crash. If anybody out there
does have any dumps, please email them to me.

--
Milo Hyson
CyberLife Labs