Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 14:52:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BUGTRAQ Vulnerabilities Stats

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> FreeBSD has the most of the *BSD listed (Free, Net, and Open) with
> 1999 having quite a spike (but almost all OSes have a spike in
> '99). The big 2.2 to 3 jump is probably a big part of that.

I also think they're counting ports among the FreeBSD vulnerabilities,
which gives us an unfair disadvantage because often in fact the
vulnerability is not anything freebsd-specific, it was just first
publicized as being "vulnerable on FreeBSD".

For example, OpenBSD has had more than 2 vulnerabilities so far this year
- they've shared several of the vulnerable ports, and have also fixed
several security issues which never were widely publicized as affecting
OpenBSD. Perhaps it's due to lack of manpower, but OpenBSD don't seem to
make it widely known when they fix a security hole.

Kris

----