Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:51:16 -0400
From:      bsdfsse <bsdfsse@optonline.net>
To:        Christian Hiris <4711@chello.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do you know how to install ports? (like vmware3)

>>I'm new to FreeBSD, maybe I am missing something obvious?
>
> You probably missed the pkg-message display. In your terminal session, simply
> scroll back a view lines after the install target has been completed or type
> 'cat /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3/pkg-message' to view it again.

Indeed, I was missing those messages, and was able to incorporate that
information once I was aware of it.  If you're not running X, is there a
way to get the screen to scroll upwards?  When I was running XFCE4, the
  terminal also did not have scroll bars.

I will be doing a fresh install after I get something to eat.  I will
start over from scratch.  Currently I have a lot more info, but now my
FBSD machine simply reboots when I run VMWARE.

thx!